The Independent Anglican Church, Canada Synod 1934 had its beginnings at the Parish of St. John the Evangelist in Hamilton, Ontario. The parish was a High Church congregation which was under the direction of Canon Samuel Daw, a native of Newfoundland. The "High Church" practices at the parish incurred the wrath of two successive Bishops of Niagara; the Right Reverend D.T. Owen and the Right Reverend Wilmot Broughall. The Bishops took exception to such things as Auricular Confession, Incense and Bells, and the Service of Solemn Evensong with the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.
Unfortunately, matters between the Bishops and Canon Daw and his son, the Reverend Father William Henry (Harry ) Daw, were unable to be resolved, which resulted in the Bishop (Wilmot Broughall) removing Father Harry Daw's name from the list of licensed clergy in the Diocese of Niagara. Canon Samuel Daw had by then retired and was out of the reach of the Bishop's discipline. The Fathers Daw then purchased a former United Church building on Aberdeen Avenue and took a large number of the St. John's parishoners with them and formed a new congregation. The new parish was named St. Francis of Asissi, a reflection of the Daw's High Church leanings.
The Church existed with no raison detre for many years until the abrogation of the Book of Common Prayer. With Prayer Book use in decline, and the "Anglican Realignment" in full swing; many have become interested in the Independent Anglican Church, Canada Synod. It is these people who have been disenfranchised by the many changes in the Anglican Church of Canada and The Episcopal Church that are the core of the membership of the IAC today.